Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sweet Rice Pudding "Putt Jai Ko"


This is my all-time-favorite street food from back home! These are basically sweet steamed pudding on a stick. Grandma always used to bring some when she visited our house when I was a kid and mom hated street food (said they're flithy) so she never approved and banned Grandma from bringing them so whenever I get some it was always a treat. These came in White or Brown and brown was always my favorite of the two. These are my first batch of Putt Jai ko's, ever. Asides from the red beans falling off they came out pretty well, at least I think so =P

Yield 5 pudding

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup Rice Flour
2 1/2 pieces of Brown Candy Sugar
2 cups Water
Azuki Red Beans

Method:
Soak some red beans overnight and boil in a little bit of water with 2 tablespoon of sugar until soft/cooked
Bring 1 cup of water to boil in a saucepan and melt candy sugar
Once the candy sugar are melted completely, take off from the stove and stir in flour. Keep stiring constantly until well incorporated. Meanwhile bring the 2nd cup of water to boil (if you have a hot water thermo pot you can just use hot water from there) and add to mixture and continue stirring
Pour mixture into little bowls and steam in a steamer
Add in Red Beans on top after 2 minutes
Steam for additional 3-4 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

k.a.r.e.n said...

I loveeeeeeeeeee putt jai go, too!!! And i never knew it was that easy!!! Too bad I dont have any Asian ingredients at home.

k.a.r.e.n said...

Oh.... and im assuming to make them white, i use white sugar?

Post a Comment