Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Roasted Pork (Siew Yuk)

My siew yuk looks good doesn't it? I'm really proud of myself on how it turned out.

This is super yummy and it's not very hard to make, just a little time consuming since it's a 2 days process.

Ingredients and method:

Day 1
2-lbs slab of Pork Belly - clean and scrape off little hairs (if any) from the skin of the pork belly using a small sharp knife
Wash and pat dry
Place the pork belly on the chopping board then stab the entire piece of pork belly using a meat stabber (or a sharp knife)

The marinate (i didn't really measure so the following is a guesstimate)
1 tablespoon Chinese Rice cooking wine (rub on first)
Mix in a separate bowl and rub on pork belly:
1/2 tablespoon Five Spice Powder
1/2 tablespoon Dry Ginger Powder
2 teaspoon Chicken Flavor Bouillion Powder
3 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon Sugar
Rub with marinate and leave in fridge uncovered overnight

Day 2 - AM
Using a meat hook, hang the pork belly so it can air-dry for at least 4-5 hours. I hung it on my kitchen cabinet over the sink before I left for work and the pork belly was dry and ready to be placed in the oven after work

Day 2 - PM
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Please the pork belly on a rack (i used my non-stick cooling rack) and another tray underneath to catch all the dripping fat (I wrapped the tray with foil for easy cleaning)
Bake for at least 40 minutes then change your oven setting to broil to crisp the skin. It's ok if the skin is charred you can use a steak knife to scrap off the burnt parts and discard. Once you turn to broil, the top skin should start to bubble and separate and it should look crispy. I dabbed the top of the skin with paper towel often to soak up excess fats to help the "bubbling" process. Make sure you monitor this stage very closely since you don't want to overcook the top skin. I opened the oven door to let the heat escape a little every minute. Once you see the top is all nice, golden brown and bubbly/crispy looking, your Siew Yuk is ready.

Take out from the oven and let it sit for a little bit before chopping it up.
Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

k.a.r.e.n said...

I think im gonna try this out one day and give it to my parents.... they'll be very surprised! Good recipe!

Post a Comment